- Sale is the selling of goods or services, or a discount on the price.
- An example of a sale is the selling of a new house.
- An example of a sale is a 50% reduction on the price of all jeans at a store.
A new house for sale.
sale definition by Webster's New World
- the act of selling; exchange of property of any kind, or of services, for an agreed sum of money or other valuable consideration
- opportunity to sell or be sold; market
- the act of offering goods to the highest bidder; auction
- a special offering of goods at prices lower than usual
- receipts in business
- the work, department, etc. of selling: a job in sales
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English sala ; from ON: for Indo-European base see sell
sale definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The exchange of goods or services for an amount of money or its equivalent; the act of selling.
- An instance of selling.
- An opportunity for selling or being sold; demand.
- Availability for purchase: a store where pets are for sale.
- A selling of property to the highest bidder; an auction.
- A special disposal of goods at lowered prices: coats on sale this week.
- salesa. Activities involved in selling goods or services.b. Gross receipts.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English sala, from Old Norse.
sale - Business Definition
- Price reductions by a retailer.
- A transaction in which a good or service is transferred to a buyer in return for cash received by the seller.
sale - Legal Definition
sale - Phrases/Idioms