The store has a sale on winter coats.
An example of a sale is the selling of a new house.
An example of a sale is a 50% reduction on the price of all jeans at a store.
He celebrated after the sale of company.
They are having a clearance sale: 50% off.
- Available to customers:A store where pets are for sale.
- Available to customers:That vegetable should be on sale at your local grocery.
- Available to customers at a special discount:Bathing suits are on sale.
- available for purchase
- available for purchase, esp. at a price lower than usual
Origin of sale
- Middle English from Old English sala from Old Norse
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle English sale, sal, from Old English sæl (“room, hall, castle"), from Proto-Germanic *salÄ… (“house, hall"), from Proto-Indo-European *sol-, *sel- (“home, dwelling, village"). Cognate with West Frisian seal, Dutch zaal, German Saal, Swedish sal, Icelandic salur, Lithuanian sala (“village"). Related also to salon, saloon.