- Old-fashioned a large room or hall designed for receptions, exhibitions, entertainments, etc.
- any interior public place used for some specific purpose; specif.,
- a railway carriage or compartment used for a specific purpose: a dining saloon
- the main social cabin of a passenger ship
- a place where alcoholic drinks are sold to be drunk on the premises; bar
- sedan (sense )
- a luxurious parlor car
Origin of saloonFrench salon from Italian salone from sala, a room, hall from Langobardic an unverified form sala, akin to Old High German sal, a room, dwelling from Indo-European base an unverified form sel- from source Old Church Slavonic selo, village