saloon definition by Webster's New World
- any large room or hall designed for receptions, exhibitions, entertainments, etc.; specif., the main social cabin of a passenger ship
- any large public room used for some specific purpose: a dining saloon
- ☆ Old-fashioned a place where alcoholic drinks are sold to be drunk on the premises; bar
- sedan (sense )
- a luxurious parlor car
Origin: French salon ; from Italian salone ; from sala, a room, hall ; from Langobardic an unverified form sala, akin to Old High German sal, a room, dwelling ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sel- from source Old Church Slavonic selo, village
saloon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A place where alcoholic drinks are sold and drunk; a tavern.
- A large room or hall for receptions, public entertainment, or exhibitions.
- Nautical a. The officers' dining and social room on a cargo ship.b. A large social lounge on a passenger ship.
- Chiefly British A sedan automobile.
Origin: French salon, salon; see salon.