- a person who lives in a swamp
- a person who works at swamping
- a handyman or helper
- A person or animal that lives in or close to a swamp.
- An assistant who performs tasks requiring little training, as:a. One who clears brush for loggers.b. A truck driver's assistant.
- (US) A person who lives in a swampy area. [from 18th c.]
- (US) A person who clears a road for lumberers in a forest or swamp. [from 19th c.]
- Someone or something that swamps or overwhelms. [from 19th c.]
- (North America, slang) A truck driver's assistant; an assistant to a driver of horses, mules or bullocks. [from 19th c.]
- (Australia, slang) a person who travels by foot but has his belongings on a wagon. [from 19th c.]
- (US) A handyman or general employee in a liquor saloon; a cook's assistant. [from 20th c.]
From swamp +"Ž -er.