An example of an acquisition is the purchase of a house.
- an acquiring or being acquired
- something or someone acquired or added
Origin of acquisitionClassical Latin acquisitio from past participle of acquirere, acquire
- The act of acquiring.
- Something acquired or gained: added two new acquisitions to my library.
Origin of acquisitionMiddle English adquisicioun attainment from Latin acquisitiō acquisitiōn- from acquisitus past participle of acquīrere to acquire ; see acquire .
- The act or process of acquiring.
- The acquisition of sports equipment can be fun in itself.
- The thing acquired or gained; a gain.
- That graphite tennis racquet is quite an acquisition.
acquisition - Investment & Finance Definition
An act by one company to acquire control of another company, either through an agreed-upon deal or a hostile takeover. Companies also may acquire units of a company, property, or other assets. Often used interchangeably with merger.