This person has acquired some money.
- The definition of acquire means to get or to come into control of something.
An example of acquire is to receive a large sum of money.
transitive verbac·quired, ac·quir·ing, ac·quires
- To gain possession of: acquire 100 shares of stock.
- To get by one's own efforts: acquire proficiency in math.
- To gain through experience; come by: acquired a growing dislike of television sitcoms.
- To locate (a target) with an aiming device or a tracking system, such as radar.
Origin of acquireMiddle English acquere, from Old French aquerre, from Latin acquīrere, to add to : ad-, ad- + quaerere, to seek, get.
(third-person singular simple present acquires, present participle acquiring, simple past and past participle acquired)