- The definition of gratuitous is something that is given for free, unnecessary or not called for.
- An example of gratuitous is when an accountant gives you free tax advice.
- An example of gratuitous is a movie that has nudity in it for no reason.
- given or received without charge or payment; free
- granted without obligation
- without cause or justification; uncalled-for
Origin: L gratuitus from gratus: see grace
- gratuitously adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Given or granted without return or recompense; unearned.
- Given or received without cost or obligation; free.
- Unnecessary or unwarranted; unjustified: gratuitous criticism.
Origin: From Latin grātuītus; see gwerə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- gra·tuˈi·tous·ly adverb
- gra·tuˈi·tous·ness noun