gratuitous[grə to̵̅o̅′i təs, -tyo̵̅o̅′-]
- An example of gratuitous is when an accountant gives you free tax advice.
- An example of gratuitous is a movie that has nudity in it for no reason.
The definition of gratuitous is something that is given for free, unnecessary or not called for.
- given or received without charge or payment; free
- granted without obligation
- without cause or justification; uncalled-for
Origin of gratuitousClassical Latin gratuitus ; from gratus: see grace
- Given or granted without return or recompense; unearned.
- Given or received without cost or obligation; free.
- Unnecessary or unwarranted; unjustified: gratuitous criticism.
Origin of gratuitousFrom Latin grātuītus; see gwer&schwa;-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more gratuitous, superlative most gratuitous)