- of, at, or forming the base
- being the base or basis; basic; fundamental
- Bot. growing from the base of a stem
- a. Of, relating to, located at, or forming a base.b. Botany Located at or near the base of a plant stem, or at the base of any other plant part: basal placentation.
- Of primary importance; basic.
(comparative more basal, superlative most basal)
- Relating to, or forming, the base, or point of origin.
- (chiefly systematics) In a phylogenetic tree, being a group, or member of a group, which diverged earlier.
- Hittite is a basal Indo-European language.
- A magnolia is a basal angiosperm.
- (anatomy) Any basal structure or part