Zion is heaven, a place devoted to God, Jerusalem, or the land of Israel.
An example of Zion is a mountain near Jerusalem; Mount Zion.
- a Canaanite fortress in Jerusalem captured by David and called in the Bible “City of David”
- the Jewish people
- heaven; the heavenly city
- the theocracy of God
Origin of ZionMiddle English Syon from Old English Sion from Ecclesiastical Late Latin from Classical Hebrew (language) tsiyon
- the hill in Jerusalem on which the Temple was built: Zion has historically been regarded by Jews as a symbol of the center of Jewish national life
- the land of Israel
- a. The historic land of Israel as a symbol of the Jewish people.b. The Jewish people; Israel.
- A place or religious community regarded as sacredly devoted to God.
- An idealized, harmonious community; utopia.
Origin of ZionMiddle English Sion from Old English from Late Latin Siōn from Greek Seiōn from Hebrew &slowdot;iyyôn &slowdot;wn
- zayin, Hebrew letter ×–.