The bee was being a pest because it wouldn't stop circling around the boy's head.
An example of a pest is a bug that keeps buzzing in someone's ear.
- a person or thing that causes trouble, annoyance, discomfort, etc.; nuisance; specif., any destructive or troublesome insect, small animal, weed, etc.
- Now Rare a fatal epidemic disease; esp., bubonic plague
Origin of pestFrench peste from Classical Latin pestis, plague
- An annoying person or thing; a nuisance.
- An organism, typically an insect, that sickens or annoys humans, hampers human activities, damages crops or food products, harms livestock, or causes damage to buildings.
- A deadly epidemic disease; a pestilence.
Origin of pestFrench peste pestilence from Old French from Latin pestis
From Middle French peste (=modern French), from Latin pestis