- any of several large flies, as the horsefly, that bite livestock
- a person who annoys others, esp. by rousing them from complacency
Origin of gadflygad + fly
- A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance.
- One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad.
- Any of various flies, especially a warble fly, botfly, or horsefly, that bite or annoy livestock and other animals.
Origin of gadflygad2 + fly2.
- Any dipterous insect of the family Oestridae, commonly known as botflies.
- A horsefly: any of various species of fly, of the family Tabanidae, noted for buzzing about animals and sucking their blood.
- One who upsets the status quo by posing upsetting or novel questions, or attempts to stimulate innovation by proving an irritant.
- (pejorative) One who merely irritates without making useful suggestions.
- (slang) A bloodsucker
- He's a regular gadfly and takes advantage of his friend's generosity.
"fly which bites cattle", from Old Norse gaddr (“spike”).