- The definition of a blight is something that spoils or damages something, or a disease that affects plants, or a general state of neglect and disrepair in an urban area.
- An ugly mark that destroys a painting is an example of a blight.
- A disease caused by mildew or fungus that harms a plant is an example of blight.
- Run-down buildings are an example of urban blight.
- To blight is to spoil or destroy something or to cause an urban area to become run-down and neglected.
- When you destroy the efforts of someone, this is an example of a time when you blight progress.
- When rotting buildings spoil an urban area, this is an example of blight.
Blight on tomatoes.
blight definition by Webster's New World
- any atmospheric or soil condition, parasite, or insect that kills, withers, or checks the growth of plants
- any of several plant diseases, as rust, mildew, or smut
- anything that destroys, prevents growth, or causes devaluation: slums are a blight on a city
- a person or thing that withers someone's hopes or ambitions
- the condition or result of being blighted
Origin: uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to Middle English blichening, blight, rust (on grain) ; from bliknen, to lose color ; from Old Norse blikja, turn pale: see bleach
- to cause a blight in or on; wither
- to destroy
- to disappoint or frustrate
- blighted adjective
blight definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Any of numerous plant diseases resulting in sudden conspicuous wilting and dying of affected parts, especially young, growing tissues.b. The condition or causative agent, such as a bacterium, fungus, or virus, that results in blight.
- An extremely adverse environmental condition, such as air pollution.
- Something that impairs growth, withers hopes and ambitions, or impedes progress and prosperity.
- To cause (a plant, for example) to undergo blight.
- To have a deleterious effect on; ruin. See Synonyms at blast.
Origin: Origin unknown.
blight - Science Definition
- Any of numerous plant diseases that cause leaves, stems, fruits, and tissues to wither and die. Rust, mildew, and smut are blights.
- The bacterium, fungus, or virus that causes such a disease.