- the act or process of generalizing
- a general idea, statement, etc. resulting from this; inference applied generally
The definition of a generalization is a broad statement or idea that applies to a lot of people or situations.
When you make a general statement without details about what you see or hear, this is an example of a generalization.
- The act or an instance of generalizing.
- A principle, statement, or idea having general application.
general + -ization
- If there be but one of these uncovered by the generalization, this cannot be sound.
- At the beginning is the well-known generalization of Eucl.
- It may be added that we have here no generalization imported from a higher level of culture, but an idea or blend of ideas familiar to primitive thought.
- The earliest generalization in this direction is associated with F.
- Granting this is a general truth, it must yet be acknowledged as a special fact, that in fossil birds we have as yet but scanty means of arriving at any precise results which will justify bold generalization in the matter of avine distribution.