generality[jen′ər al′ə tē]
generality definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. generalities
- the condition or quality of being general, or applicable to all
- a general statement, idea, etc., specif.
- one that is vague or inadequate
- the bulk; main body
Origin: Middle English generalte ; from Old French généralité ; from Late Latin generalitas ; from Classical Latin generalis
generality definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. gen·er·al·i·ties
- The state or quality of being general.
- An observation or principle having general application; a generalization.
- An imprecise or vague statement or idea.
- The greater portion or number; the majority.