(plural lexica or lexicons)
- The vocabulary of a language.
- (linguistics) A dictionary that includes or focuses on lexemes.
- A dictionary of Classical Greek, Hebrew, Latin, or Aramaic.
- (programming) The lexicology of a programming language. (Usually called lexical structure.)
- (rare) Any dictionary.
- The vocabulary used by or known to an individual. (Also called lexical knowledge)
- A vocabulary specific to a certain subject.
- a baseball lexicon
English from the 17th century, from a Medieval Latin or New Latin lexicon, from Ancient Greek Î»ÎµÎ¾Î¹ÎºÏŒÎ½ (lexicon, “a lexicon"), neuter of Î»ÎµÎ¾Î¹ÎºÏŒÏ‚ (lexikos, “of words"), from Î»ÎÎ¾Î¹Ï‚ (lexis, “a saying, speech, word"), from Î»ÎÎ³ÎµÎ¹Î½ (legein, “to speak").