- The definition of an arbiter is someone who is either qualified to judge or chosen to decide something.
Jennifer Lopez is an example of an arbiter for the television show American Idol.
arbiter definition by Webster's New World
- a person selected to judge a dispute; umpire; arbitrator
- a person fully authorized or qualified to judge or decide
Origin: Classical Latin origin, originally , one who goes to a place, a witness, judge ; from ad-, to plush baetere, to come, go
arbiter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One chosen or appointed to judge or decide a disputed issue; an arbitrator.
- One who has the power to judge or ordain at will: an arbiter of fashion. See Synonyms at judge.
Origin: Middle English arbitre, from Old French, from Latin arbiter, of Phoenician origin; see עrb in Semitic roots.