- Intimated is defined as implied, hinted or made-known.
When you implied that your visiting children might like to leave the house rather than basically move in, this is an example of when you intimated.
- simple past tense and past participle of intimate
Variant of intimate
- pertaining to the inmost character of a thing; fundamental: the intimate structure of the atom
- most private or personal: his intimate feelings
- closely acquainted or associated; very familiar: an intimate friend
- promoting a feeling of privacy, coziness, romance, etc.: an intimate nightclub
- resulting from careful study or investigation; thorough: an intimate knowledge of French
- very close: intimate acquaintance with the facts
- having illicit sexual relations: a euphemism
Origin of intimatealtered (infl. by the verb ) ; from earlier intime ; from French ; from Classical Latin intimus, superlative of intus, within: see intestine
an intimate friend or companion