The rescue respondents secured the injured woman before getting her into the helicopter.
- Respondent is defined as a person who is giving help or information.
An example of a respondent person is someone who rushes to help at the scene of an accident.
- The definition of a respondent is someone who answers something, or the defending party in a law case.
- An example of a respondent is a group of firefighters arriving at a fire.
- An example of a respondent is the defendant in a divorce.
Origin of respondentClassical Latin respondens, present participle
- a person who responds
- Law the party who responds to a petition, as in equity, divorce, or appellate proceedings; the defendant in such proceedings
- One who responds.
- Law The defending party in certain legal proceedings, as in a case brought by petition.
- Giving or given as an answer; responsive.
- Law Of or being a respondent in a proceeding.
- re·spon′dence re·spon′den·cy
- (law) person who answers for the defendant in a case before a court. In some legal systems, when one appeals a criminal case, one names the original court as defendant, but the state is the respondent.
- One who responds. See also correspondent.
- Person that participates in research involving questionnaires.
(comparative more respondent, superlative most respondent)
- Disposed or expected to respond; answering; according; corresponding.
respondent - Legal Definition