Research is careful and organized study or gathering of information about a specific topic.noun
- An example of research is a project where scientists try to find a cure for AIDS.
- An example of research is the information a high school student tracks down information for a school report.
Research is defined as to track down information or gain knowledge about a specific subject.verb
An example of research is gathering information on the Internet about traveling in Mexico.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Origin: MFr recerche < recercher, to travel through, survey: see re- & search
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
- Close, careful study.
- To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner: researching the effects of acid rain.
- To do research for: research a magazine article.
Origin: Obsolete French recerche, from recercher, to search closely, from Old French : re-, re- + cerchier, to search; see search.
- re·searchˈa·ble adjective
- re·searchˈer, re·searchˈist noun