- Research is careful and organized study or gathering of information about a specific topic.
- An example of research is a project where scientists try to find a cure for AIDS.
- An example of research is the information a high school student tracks down information for a school report.
- Research is defined as to track down information or gain knowledge about a specific subject.
An example of research is gathering information on the Internet about traveling in Mexico.
research definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle French recerche ; from recercher, to travel through, survey: see re- and amp; search
research definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
- Close, careful study.
- To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner: researching the effects of acid rain.
- To do research for: research a magazine article.
Origin: Obsolete French recerche, from recercher, to search closely, from Old French : re-, re- + cerchier, to search; see search.
- re·searchˈa·ble adjective
- re·searchˈer, re·searchˈist noun