experiment[ek sper′ə mənt, ik-; also, & for v.usually, -ment; often, -spir′-]
- The definition of an experiment is a test or the act of trying out a new course of action.
- An example of an experiment is when scientists give rats a new medicine and see how they react to learn about the medicine.
- An example of an experiment is when you try a new coffee shop but you aren't sure how the coffee will taste.
- To experiment is defined as to try out something new or to test a theory
- An example of experiment is when you try out a new hair style.
- An example of experiment is when you use test tubes and chemicals in a lab to complete a project and to try to better understand chemical reactions.
A scientist perfoms an experiment.
- a test or trial of something; specif.,
- any action or process undertaken to discover something not yet known or to demonstrate something known
- any action or process designed to find out whether something is effective, workable, valid, etc.
- the conducting of such tests or trials; experimentation
Origin of experimentMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin experimentum, a trial, test ; from experiri: see peril
- a. A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.b. The process of conducting such a test; experimentation.
- An innovative act or procedure: “Democracy is only an experiment in government” (William Ralph Inge).
- The result of experimentation: “We are not [nature's] only experiment” (R. Buckminster Fuller).
intransitive verbex·per·i·ment·ed, ex·per·i·ment·ing, ex·per·i·ments
- To conduct an experiment.
- To try something new, especially in order to gain experience: experiment with new methods of teaching.
Origin of experimentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin experīmentum, from experīrī, to try; see per-3 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present experiments, present participle experimenting, simple past and past participle experimented)
- (intransitive) To conduct an experiment.
From Old French experiment (French: expérience), from Latin experimentum.