- Diagnose is defined as to identify a problem or disease by considering the symptoms or performing an exam.
- An example of diagnose is when you go to a doctor because you have a sore throat and your doctor takes a throat culture and says that you have strep throat.
- An example of diagnose is to analyze why the fee revenue is down from the amount forecasted in the city budget.
- diagnosable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb di·ag·nosed, di·ag·nos·ing, di·ag·nos·es verb, transitive
- To distinguish or identify (a disease, for example) by diagnosis.
- To identify (a person) as having a particular disease or condition by means of a diagnosis.
- To analyze the nature or cause of: diagnose the reasons for an economic downturn.
Origin: Back-formation from diagnosis.
- diˌag·nosˈa·ble adjective
diagnose - Medical Definition
- To distinguish or identify a disease by diagnosis.
- To identify a person as having a particular disease or condition by diagnosis.