- Diagnose is defined as to identify a problem or disease by considering the symptoms or performing an exam.
- An example of diagnose is when you go to a doctor because you have a sore throat and your doctor takes a throat culture and says that you have strep throat.
- An example of diagnose is to analyze why the fee revenue is down from the amount forecasted in the city budget.
diagnose definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- diagnosable adjective
diagnose definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
verb di·ag·nosed, di·ag·nos·ing, di·ag·nos·es verb, transitive
- To distinguish or identify (a disease, for example) by diagnosis.
- To identify (a person) as having a particular disease or condition by means of a diagnosis.
- To analyze the nature or cause of: diagnose the reasons for an economic downturn.
To make a diagnosis.
Origin: Back-formation from diagnosis.
- diˌag·nosˈa·ble adjective
diagnose - Medical Definition
- To distinguish or identify a disease by diagnosis.
- To identify a person as having a particular disease or condition by diagnosis.