- An example of diagnose is when you go to a doctor because you have a sore throat and your doctor takes a throat culture and says that you have strep throat.
- An example of diagnose is to analyze why the fee revenue is down from the amount forecasted in the city budget.
intransitive verb-·nosed′, -·nos′ing
- to make a diagnosis of (a disease, a problem, etc.)
- to identify a disease, condition, etc. in (a patient): they diagnosed him as having mumps
Origin of diagnoseback-formation from diagnosis
verbdi·ag·nosed, di·ag·nos·ing, di·ag·nos·es
- To distinguish or identify (a disease, for example) by diagnosis.
- To identify (a person) as having a particular disease or condition by means of a diagnosis.
- To analyze the nature or cause of: diagnose the reasons for an economic downturn.
Origin of diagnoseBack-formation from diagnosis
(third-person singular simple present diagnoses, present participle diagnosing, simple past and past participle diagnosed)
Back-formation from diagnosis..