Now Rare a marriage ceremony
Origin of spousalsee espousal
- Now Rare of marriage
- of or relating to a spouse: spousal benefits
- Of or relating to marriage; nuptial.
- Of or relating to a spouse.
Origin of spousalFrom Middle English spousaille, marriage, from Old French espousaille, from Latin spōnsālia, betrothal, from neuter pl. of spōnsālis, of marriage, from spōnsus, past participle of spondēre, to pledge; see spouse.
(comparative more spousal, superlative most spousal)
- Boweth your head under that blissful yoke […] Which that men clepeth spousal or wedlock.
- The spousals of the newborn year.