formality[fôr mal′ə tē]
- The definition of formality is a strict following of established rules or customs.
An example of a formality is two people shaking hands when they meet.
- the quality or state of being formal; specif.,
- a following or observing of prescribed customs, rules, ceremonies, etc.; propriety
- careful or too careful attention to order, regularity, precision, or conventionality; stiffness
- pl. formalities a formal or conventional act or requirement; ceremony or form, often without practical meaning
Origin of formalityFrench formalité
- The quality or condition of being formal.
- Rigorous or ceremonious adherence to established forms, rules, or customs.
- An established form, rule, or custom, especially one followed merely for the sake of procedure or decorum.
(countable and uncountable, plural formalities)
From Middle French formalité