Mila said goodbye to her mother and little sister when she left for school.
- The definition of said is the previously mentioned item in legal speak.
An example of said used as an adjective is when a lawyer calls his client the “said party.”
- Said is defined as expressed something in words.
An example of said is to leave a friend with the word “Goodbye.”
Usage Note: The adjective said is used primarily in legal and business writing, where it is equivalent to aforesaid: the said tenant (named in a lease); said property. Outside of these specialized contexts said is usually unnecessary. Simply saying the tenant or the property will suffice.
- A male given name, an alternative form of Saeed.
- A surname.
- She said something and then rode ahead.
- "It's wonderful!" said Dorothy.
- Alex said nothing, his stoic features giving no suggestion of what was on his mind.
- You would have said that was crazy.
- "Good night," he said cheerfully.