- strict or excessive attention to or insistence on outward forms, as in art, or established traditions, as in religion
- an instance of this
See formalism in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Rigorous or excessive adherence to recognized forms, as in religion or art.
- An instance of rigorous or excessive adherence to recognized forms.
- A method of aesthetic analysis that emphasizes structural elements and artistic techniques rather than content, especially in literary works.
- forˈmal·ist adjective & n.
- forˌmal·isˈti·cal·ly adverb
Learn more about formalism