- The definition of precision is something made with exact measurements.
An example of precision used as an adjective is the term "precision tool" which means a device used to make concise measurements.
- Precision is defined as the quality of being exact.
An example of precision is perfectly cutting a piece of paper.
precision definition by Webster's New World
- the quality of being precise; exactness, accuracy, etc.
- the degree of this
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin praecisio, a cutting off
- characterized by precision, as in measurement, operation, etc.
- requiring low tolerance, as in manufacturing
precision definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state or quality of being precise; exactness.
- a. The ability of a measurement to be consistently reproduced.b. The number of significant digits to which a value has been reliably measured.
- Used or intended for accurate or exact measurement: a precision tool.
- Made so as to vary minimally from a set standard: precision components.
- Of or characterized by accurate action: precision bombing.
Origin: Latin praecīsiō, praecīsiōn-, a cutting off, from praecīsus, past participle of praecīdere, to cut off; see precise.