- The definition of a gesture is an expressive movement of the body, or something that is said or done to show a feeling.
- An example of a gesture is a wave.
- A card for someone who is very sick is an example of a gesture.
- Gesture is defined as moving your body in a way that conveys a feeling or emotion.
To salute is an example of a gesture to show respect.
A wave is a gesture.
gesture definition by Webster's New World
- a movement, or movements collectively, of the body, or of part of the body, to express or emphasize ideas, emotions, etc.
- anything said or done to convey a state of mind, intention, etc.; often, something said or done merely for effect or as a formality: a gesture of sympathy
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin gestura, mode of action ; from Classical Latin gestus, past participle of gerere, to bear, carry
gesture definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A motion of the limbs or body made to express or help express thought or to emphasize speech.
- The act of moving the limbs or body as an expression of thought or emphasis.
- An act or a remark made as a formality or as a sign of intention or attitude: sent flowers as a gesture of sympathy.
Origin: Middle English, from Medieval Latin gestūra, bearing, from Latin gestus, past participle of gerere, to behave.
- gesˈtur·al adjective
- gesˈtur·al·ly adverb
- gesˈtur·er noun