beau geste[bō z̸hest′]
- a fine or beautiful gesture
- an act or offer that seems fine, noble, etc., but is empty
Origin of beau gesteFrench
nounpl. beaux gestes beaux gestes or beau gestes
- A gracious gesture.
- A gesture noble in form but meaningless in substance.
Origin of beau gesteFrench : beau, noble + geste, gesture.
(plural beaux gestes)
- A gracious gesture, noble in form but often futile or meaningless in substance.
- "In a magnificent beau geste, the destroyer, hopelessly trapped, turned as if to flee, threw out a smoke screen, and when the [enemy ship] charged into it, rammed her at flank speed..." --William Manchester, The Last Lion Vol. 2, page 635