- The definition of levity is silly or light speech or behavior, usually at an inappropriate time.
An example of levity is someone is being disrespectful to a police officer after being arrested.
levity definition by Webster's New World
- Rare lightness of weight; buoyancy
- lightness or gaiety of disposition, conduct, or speech; esp., improper or unbecoming gaiety or flippancy; lack of seriousness; frivolity
- fickleness; instability
Origin: Old French levité ; from Classical Latin levitas ; from levis, light
levity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. lev·i·ties
- Lightness of manner or speech, especially when inappropriate; frivolity.
- Inconstancy; changeableness.
- The state or quality of being light; buoyancy.
Origin: Latin levitās, from levis, light; see legwh- in Indo-European roots.