The definition of levity is silly or light speech or behavior, usually at an inappropriate time.
An example of levity is someone is being disrespectful to a police officer after being arrested.
- Rare lightness of weight; buoyancy
- lightness or gaiety of disposition, conduct, or speech; esp., improper or unbecoming gaiety or flippancy; lack of seriousness; frivolity
- fickleness; instability
Origin of levityOld French levité from Classical Latin levitas from levis, light
- Humor, merriment, or a lack of seriousness, especially when inappropriate: a subject that should not be treated with levity.
- Archaic Inconstancy; changeableness.
- Archaic The state or quality of being light; buoyancy.
Origin of levityLatin levitās from levis light ; see legwh- in Indo-European roots.
(usually uncountable, plural levities)