The definition of levity is silly or light speech or behavior, usually at an inappropriate time.noun
An example of levity is someone is being disrespectful to a police officer after being arrested.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. levities
- Rare lightness of weight; buoyancy
- lightness or gaiety of disposition, conduct, or speech; esp., improper or unbecoming gaiety or flippancy; lack of seriousness; frivolity
- fickleness; instability
Origin: OFr levité < L levitas < levis, light
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. lev·i·ties
- Lightness of manner or speech, especially when inappropriate; frivolity.
- Inconstancy; changeableness.
- The state or quality of being light; buoyancy.
Origin: Latin levitās, from levis, light; see legwh- in Indo-European roots.