- The definition of providential is to seem to come from a divine power.
- An example of something providential is choosing the right horse when betting your last $20 at a racetrack; providential bet.
- An example of something providential is circumstances leading you to buy your first house when everything seemed to be going against you; providential purchase.
providential definition by Webster's New World
of, by, or as if decreed by divine providence
Origin: ; from Classical Latin providentia plush -al
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- providentially adverb
providential definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or resulting from divine providence.
- Happening as if through divine intervention; opportune. See Synonyms at happy.
- provˌi·denˈtial·ly adverb