- The definition of providential is to seem to come from a divine power.
- An example of something providential is choosing the right horse when betting your last $20 at a racetrack; providential bet.
- An example of something providential is circumstances leading you to buy your first house when everything seemed to be going against you; providential purchase.
of, by, or as if decreed by divine providence
Origin of providential; from Classical Latin providentia + -al
- Of or resulting from divine providence.
- Happening as if through divine intervention; opportune. See Synonyms at fortunate.
(comparative more providential, superlative most providential)