provider definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One who supplies a means of subsistence: parents who were good providers.
- One that makes something, such as a service, available: primary health care providers.
provider - Computer Definition
Variant of provide
transitive verb provided, providing
- Now Rare to get ready beforehand
- to make available; supply
- to supply (someone) with something
- to state as a condition; stipulate
Origin: Middle English providen ; from Classical Latin providere ; from pro-, pro- plush videre, to see: see vision
- to prepare (for or against some probable or possible situation, occurrence, etc.)
- to make a condition; stipulate
- to furnish the means of support: usually with for
- provider noun