- Rigged is defined as something in the proper order for use, or is something that is fixed in a dishonest way to guarantee a desired outcome.
- A boat that is ready to sail is an example of a boat that is rigged.
- A contest where the winner is predetermined beforehand is an example of a contest that isrigged.
Variant of rig
- to fit (a ship, mast, etc.) with sails, shrouds, etc.
- to fit (sails, shrouds, etc.) to a ship's masts, yards, etc.
- to assemble and adjust the wings, fuselage, etc. of (an aircraft)
- to fit (out); equip
- to put together, prepare for use, or arrange, esp. in a makeshift or hurried fashion: often with up
- to arrange in a dishonest way for selfish advantage; manipulate fraudulently; fix: to rig an election
- Informal to dress; clothe; attire: usually with out
Origin: L Middle English riggen from Scand, as inch(es) Norwegian rigga, to bind, splice
- the distinctive arrangement of sails, masts, and rigging on a vessel
- ☆ any apparatus for a special purpose; equipment; gear: a ham radio operator's rig
- ☆ equipment for drilling an oil well
- a carriage, cart, etc. with its horse or horses
- a tractor-trailer or, sometimes, the tractor alone
- Informal any vehicle
- Informal dress or costume, esp. if odd or showy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.