- Denied is defined as something that was not approved or admitted, or to refuse to approve or admit.
- When you request permission to go to New York and are told that you may not go, this is an example of a situation where you were denied.
- When you are asked if you know someone that you were having a secret affair with and you say "no," this is an example of when you denied knowing someone.
- When your friend asks to borrow your boat and you say no, this is an example of when you denied permission.
Variant of deny
transitive verbdenied, denying
- to declare (a statement) untrue; contradict
- to refuse to accept as true or right; reject as unfounded, unreal, etc.
- to refuse to acknowledge as one's own; disown; repudiate
- to refuse the use of or access to
- to refuse to grant or give
- to refuse the request of (a person)
- Obsolete to forbid
Origin of denyMiddle English denien ; from Old French denier ; from Classical Latin denegare ; from de-, intensive + negare, to deny: see negation
- to do without desired things
- to abstain from