- The definition of constitutive refers to having the power to create or establish something.
A state agency established to start a new housing project is an example of an agency that has constitutive power.
- having power to establish, appoint, or enact
- making a thing what it is; basic
- forming a part (of); constituent; component
Origin: Late Latin constitutivus: see constitute
- constitutively adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Making a thing what it is; essential.
- Having power to institute, establish, or enact.
- Of or relating to the synthesis of a protein or an enzyme at a constant rate regardless of physiological demand or the concentration of a substrate.
- conˈsti·tuˌtive·ly adverb