The definition of a memoir is a retelling or recount of a life lived, often in book or movie form.noun
When you write the history of your life in a book, this is an example of a memoir.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- a biography, usually one written by someone who knew the subject well
- an autobiography, esp. one that is objective and anecdotal in emphasis rather than inward and subjective
- a report or record of important events based on the writer's personal knowledge
- a report or record of a scholarly investigation, scientific study, etc.
- the record of the proceedings of a learned society
Origin: Fr mémoire, masc., a memorandum, memoir, fem., memory < L memoria, memory
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An account of the personal experiences of an author.
- An autobiography. Often used in the plural.
- A biography or biographical sketch.
- A report, especially on a scientific or scholarly topic.
- memoirs The report of the proceedings of a learned society.
Origin: French mémoire, from Old French memoire, memory, from Latin memoria; see memory.
- memˈoir·ist noun