- The definition of a memoir is a retelling or recount of a life lived, often in book or movie form.
When you write the history of your life in a book, this is an example of a memoir.
memoir definition by Webster's New World
- a biography, usually one written by someone who knew the subject well
- an autobiography, esp. one that is objective and anecdotal in emphasis rather than inward and subjective
- a report or record of important events based on the writer's personal knowledge
- a report or record of a scholarly investigation, scientific study, etc.
- the record of the proceedings of a learned society
Origin: French mémoire, masculine , a memorandum, memoir, feminine , memory ; from Classical Latin memoria, memory
memoir definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An account of the personal experiences of an author.
- An autobiography. Often used in the plural.
- A biography or biographical sketch.
- A report, especially on a scientific or scholarly topic.
- memoirs The report of the proceedings of a learned society.
Origin: French mémoire, from Old French memoire, memory, from Latin memoria; see memory.
- memˈoir·ist noun