The definition of a memoir is a retelling or recount of a life lived, often in book or movie form.
When you write the history of your life in a book, this is an example of a memoir.
- a biography, usually one written by someone who knew the subject well
- an autobiography, esp. one that is objective and anecdotal in emphasis rather than inward and subjective
- a report or record of important events based on the writer's personal knowledge
- a report or record of a scholarly investigation, scientific study, etc.
- the record of the proceedings of a learned society
Origin of memoirFrench mémoire, masculine , a memorandum, memoir, feminine , memory ; from Classical Latin memoria, memory
- An account of the personal experiences of an author.
- often memoirs An autobiography.
- A biography or biographical sketch.
- A report, especially on a scientific or scholarly topic.
- memoirs The report of the proceedings of a learned society.
Origin of memoirFrench mémoire, from Old French memoire, memory, from Latin memoria; see memory.
- A memoir differs from a simple autobiography by not focusing on the author as the primary subject matter, but on people and events in the author's life. Emphasis is placed on personal observations about external events.
- The plural memoirs is very often used to refer to a single work.