- a biography, usually one written by someone who knew the subject well
- [pl.] an autobiography, esp. one that is objective and anecdotal in emphasis rather than inward and subjective
- [pl.] a report or record of important events based on the writer's personal knowledge
- a report or record of a scholarly investigation, scientific study, etc.
- [pl.] the record of the proceedings of a learned society
Origin of memoirFrench mémoire, masculine , a memorandum, memoir, feminine , memory from Classical Latin memoria, memory