- The definition of an autobiography is someone's life story written by that person.
Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama is an example of an autobiography.
autobiography definition by Webster's New World
- the art or practice of writing one's own biography
- the story of one's own life written or dictated by oneself
Origin: auto- plush biography: coined (1809) by Robert Southey
autobiography definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. au·to·bi·og·ra·phies
- auˌto·bi·ogˈra·pher noun
- auˌto·biˌo·graphˈic , auˌto·biˌo·graphˈi·cal adjective
- auˌto·biˌo·graphˈi·cal·ly adverb
autobiography - Cultural Definition
A literary work about the writer's own life. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa are autobiographical.