- The definition of an autobiography is someone's life story written by that person.
Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama is an example of an autobiography.
- the art or practice of writing one's own biography
- the story of one's own life written or dictated by oneself
Origin: auto- plush biography: coined (1809) by Robert Southey
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. au·to·bi·og·ra·phies
- auˌto·bi·ogˈra·pher noun
- auˌto·biˌo·graphˈic , auˌto·biˌo·graphˈi·cal adjective
- auˌto·biˌo·graphˈi·cal·ly adverb
autobiography - Cultural Definition
A literary work about the writer's own life. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin and Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa are autobiographical.