- The definition of adolescent is immature or like a teenager.
Going out and drinking alcohol every night is an example of adolescent behavior.
- Adolescent is defined as a person who is in between puberty and adulthood.
A high school student is an example of an adolescent.
An adolescent in class.
A teenager, like one of these young people, is considered an adolescent.
adolescent definition by Webster's New World
- developing from childhood to maturity; growing up
- of or characteristic of adolescence; youthful, exuberant, immature, unsettled, etc.
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin adolescens, present participle of adolescere, to come to maturity, be kindled, burn ; from an unverified form adalescere ; from ad-, to plush alescere, to increase, grow up ; from alere, to feed, sustain; akin to Old English ald (see old), Gothic alan, to grow
adolescent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or undergoing adolescence. See Synonyms at young.
- Characteristic of adolescence; immature: an adolescent sense of humor.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin adolēscēns, adolēscent-, present participle of adolēscere, to grow up : ad-, ad- + alēscere, to grow, inchoative of alere, to nourish; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.Word History: The adolescent grows up to become the adult. The words adolescent and adult ultimately come from forms of the same Latin word, adolēscere, meaning “to grow up.” The present participle of adolēscere, adolēscēns, from which adolescent derives, means “growing up,” while the past participle adultus, the source of adult, means “grown up.” Appropriately enough, adolescent, first recorded in English in a work written perhaps in 1440, seems to have come into the language before adult, first recorded in a work published in 1531.
adolescent - Medical Definition