An adolescent in class.
- The definition of adolescent is immature or like a teenager.
Going out and drinking alcohol every night is an example of adolescent behavior.
- Adolescent is defined as a person who is in between puberty and adulthood.
A high school student is an example of an adolescent.
- developing from childhood to maturity; growing up
- of or characteristic of adolescence; youthful, exuberant, immature, unsettled, etc.
Origin of adolescentFrench ; from Classical Latin adolescens, present participle of adolescere, to come to maturity, be kindled, burn ; from an unverified form adalescere ; from ad-, to + alescere, to increase, grow up ; from alere, to feed, sustain; akin to Old English ald (see old), Gothic alan, to grow
- Of, relating to, or undergoing adolescence.
- Characteristic of adolescence; immature: an adolescent sense of humor. See Synonyms at young.
Origin of adolescentMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin adol&emacron;sc&emacron;ns, adol&emacron;scent-, present participle of adol&emacron;scere, to grow up : ad-, ad- + al&emacron;scere, to grow, inchoative of alere, to nourish; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.