Festoon of evergreens for Christmas.
- The definition of a festoon is a wreath or curved string of leaves or flowers, or something in such a shape.
An example of a festoon is a layer of garland on a Christmas tree.
- Festoon is defined as to make wreaths or curved strings of leaves or flowers, or to decorate with such shaped objects.
An example of festoon is to place garland in a circle around candles on a table.
- a wreath or garland of flowers, leaves, paper, etc. hanging in a loop or curve
- any carved or molded decoration resembling this, as on furniture
Origin of festoonFrench feston from Italian festone from festa from VL: see feast
- to adorn or hang with festoons
- to form into a festoon or festoons
- to join by festoons
- A string or garland, as of leaves or flowers, suspended in a loop or curve between two points.
- A representation of such a string or garland, as in painting or sculpture.
transitive verbfes·tooned, fes·toon·ing, fes·toons
- To decorate with or as if with festoons; hang festoons on.
- To form or make into festoons.
Origin of festoonFrench feston from Italian festone from festa feast from Vulgar Latin fēsta ; see feast .
- An ornament such as a garland or chain which hangs loosely from two tacked spots.
- (architecture) A bas-relief, painting, or structural motif resembling such an ornament.
- A raised cable with light globes attached.
- (astronomy) A cloud on Jupiter that hangs out of its home belt or zone into an adjacent area forming a curved finger-like image or a complete loop back to its home belt or zone.
- (entomology) Any of a series of wrinkles on the backs of some ticks.
- (technology) A specific style of electric light bulb consisting of a cylindrical enclosure with two points of contact on either end providing power to the filament or diode.
(third-person singular simple present festoons, present participle festooning, simple past and past participle festooned)
From French feston