- Tress is a lock of human hair, especially women's.
An example of a tress is a lock of hair from a little girl's first hair cut.
tress definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a braid or plait of hair
- a lock of human hair
- a woman's or girl's hair, esp. when long and falling loosely
Origin: Middle English tresse ; from Old French akin to Italian treccia ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Vulgar Latin an unverified form trichea, a plait
tress definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A long lock or ringlet of hair.
- Archaic A plait or braid of hair.
Origin: Middle English tresse, from Old French, perhaps from Vulgar Latin *trichia, tricia, rope, braid, from Greek trikhiā, rope, from thrix, trikh-, hair.