- The definition of a swag is something hanging in a curved shape or is slang for money or property that is stolen or taken.
- An example of swag is a drapery hung in a curve between two points.
- An example oif swag is the box of free merchandise given to presenters at the Emmy awards.
- to sway or lurch
- to hang down; sag
Origin: from or akin to Norwegian svagga, to sway (in walking), swagger
- to decorate with swags
- to hang in a swag
- a swaying or lurching
- a valance, garland, chain, etc. hanging decoratively in a loop or curve; festoon
- Slang stolen money or property; loot; plunder
- a bundle containing personal belongings, as of an itinerant worker
- Informal a large number or amount: a swag of essays to mark
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. An ornamental drapery or curtain draped in a curve between two points.b. An ornamental festoon of flowers or fruit.c. A carving or plaster molding of such an ornament.
- Promotional items, especially when given for free, considered as a group.
- Slang Stolen property; loot.
- Australian The pack or bundle containing the personal belongings of a swagman.
- Slang Herbal tea in a plastic sandwich bag sold as marijuana to an unsuspecting customer.
- Chiefly British To lurch or sway.
- Australian To travel about with a pack or swag.
Origin: Probably of Scandinavian origin.