swaddling clothesswaddling clothes
- Strips of cloth wrapped around a newborn infant to hold its legs and arms still.
- Restrictions imposed on the immature.
(plural swaddling clothes)
- A garment, made of strips of cloth, used to bind an infant and restrict movement of its limbs
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version) Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn
- (idiomatic) An early period in development, infancy, the beginnings of something; inception.
- Alternative form of swaddling clothes.