- The definition of a rubber is someone who massages something, or slang for a condom.
- An example of a rubber is a massuese.
- An example of a rubber is a Trojan brand condom.
- Rubber is a material made from the sap of a tree to create tires, molds and other materials.
An example of rubber is the original material used for car tires.
rubber definition by Webster's New World
- a person or thing that rubs, as in polishing, scraping, massaging, etc.
Origin: from origin, originally use as an eraseran elastic substance produced by coagulating and drying the milky sap (latex) of various tropical plants, esp. a tree (Hevea brasiliensis) of the spurge family: now most often produced synthetically or by chemically altering latex to obtain desired characteristics for use in making automobile tires, electrical insulation, molded objects and parts, etc.: in pure form rubber is a white, unsaturated hydrocarbon, having the formula (CH)
- something made of this substance; specif.,
- an eraser
- ☆ a low-cut overshoe
- Slang a condom
- ☆ Baseball an oblong rubber slab set in the pitcher's mound: the pitcher's foot must touch the rubber as each pitch is thrown
- rubberlike adjective
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
rubber definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A yellowish, amorphous, elastic material obtained from the milky sap or latex of various tropical plants, especially the rubber tree, and vulcanized, pigmented, finished, and modified into products such as electric insulation, elastic bands and belts, tires, and containers. Also called caoutchouc, India rubber.
- Any of numerous synthetic elastic materials of varying chemical composition with properties similar to those of natural rubber.
- A low overshoe made of rubber.
- Baseball The rectangular piece of hard rubber that the pitcher must remain in contact with when making a pitch.
- Something made of rubber, as:a. An eraser.b. A tire.c. A set of tires on a vehicle.
- Slang A condom.
- One that rubs, especially one that gives a massage.
Origin: From rub.
- A series of games of which two out of three or three out of five must be won to terminate the play.
- An odd game played to break a tie.
Origin: Origin unknown.
rubber - Science Definition
- An elastic material prepared from the milky sap of certain tropical plants, especially the tree Hevea brasiliensis. Rubber is a polymer that is used, after processing, in a great variety of products, including electric insulation and tires. In its pure form, it is white and consists of repeating units of C5H8.
- Any of various synthetic materials having properties that are similar to those of this substance.