- The definition of resilient is someone or something that bounces back into shape or recovers quickly.
- An example of resilient is elastic being stretched and returning to its normal size after being let go.
- An example of resilient is a sick person rapidly getting healthy.
An elastic band can be resilient.
resilient definition by Webster's New World
- bouncing or springing back into shape, position, etc. after being stretched, bent, or, esp., compressed
- recovering strength, spirits, good humor, etc. quickly; buoyant
Origin: Classical Latin resiliens, present participle of resilire: see resile
- resiliently adverb
resilient definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Marked by the ability to recover readily, as from misfortune.
- Capable of returning to an original shape or position, as after having been compressed. See Synonyms at flexible.
Origin: Latin resiliēns, resilient-, present participle of resilīre, to leap back; see resile.
- re·silˈient·ly adverb