- The definition of a collage is a piece of art created by combining photos, clippings or small objects onto a surface.
An example of a collage is a picture of a flower made with many pictures of friends and family.
- To collage is defined as to group various items together.
An example of to collage is to gather together pictures, words and pressed flowers to make a work of art.
A collage made from different papers.
collage definition by Webster's New World
- an art form in which, variously, small objects, bits of newspaper, cloth, pressed flowers, etc. are pasted together on a surface in incongruous relationship for their symbolic or suggestive effect
- a composition so made
- any collection of seemingly unrelated bits and parts, as in a photomontage
Origin: French a pasting ; from colle, paste ; from Classical Greek kolla, glue
- collagist noun
collage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
- The art of creating such compositions.
- An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.
Origin: French, from coller, to glue, from colle, glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla.
- col·lagˈist noun