a person who designs; specif., one who makes original sketches, patterns, etc.: a scene designer
- designating or of products, esp. fashionable clothing, styled by and often named after a noted designer: designer jeans
- designating any fashionable brand name
- artificially altered, as chemically or genetically, to effect or maximize some desirable quality or benefit, usually while also minimizing undesirable ones: designer crops
One that produces designs: a book designer; a dress designer.
- Bearing the name, signature, or identifying pattern of a specific designer: designer luggage; designer clothing.
- Conceived or created by a designer.
- A person who designs, as profession.
- Created by a designer, especially a fashion designer.
- designer swimwear
- a designer briefcase
OriginSee also: désigner
design + -er