(môl tēz′, -tēs′; for adj., also môl′tēz′, -tēs′)
- of Malta or its people, language, or culture
- of the medieval Knights of Malta
- pl. Maltese a person born or living in Malta
- the Semitic language spoken in Malta, closely related to Arabic, strongly influenced by Italian, and written in the Latin alphabet
- pl. Maltese
- any of a breed of toy dog with a coat of long, silky, white hair that hangs nearly to the ground and with a tail that curls over the back
- any of a variety of shorthaired domestic cat with bluish-gray fur
See Maltese in American Heritage Dictionary 4
Of or relating to Malta or its people, language, or culture. noun pl. Maltese Maltese
- A native or inhabitant of Malta.
- The Semitic language of the people of Malta.
- Any of a breed of toy dogs having a long silky white coat.
- A Maltese cat.