repartee[rep′är tē′, -tā′]
- Repartee is fast-paced, witty conversation.
Fast-paced dialogue between hosts of a great, clever and funny talk show is an example of repartee.
- a quick, witty reply
- a series of such rejoinders
- skill in making witty replies
Origin of reparteeFrench repartie, feminine past participle of repartir, to return quickly a thrust or a blow, reply ; from re-, back + partir (L partire), to part
- A swift, witty reply.
- Conversation marked by the exchange of witty retorts.
Origin of reparteeFrench repartie, from feminine past participle of repartir, to retort, from Old French, to retort, to depart again : re-, re- + partir, to depart (from Latin partīre, to divide, from pars, part-, part; see per&schwa;-2 in Indo-European roots).
(third-person singular simple present repartees, present participle reparteeing, simple past and past participle reparteed)
- To reply with a repartee
- To have a repartee (conversation marked by repartees)
- pear tree
From French repartie, deverbal of repartir (“to retort”)