- Present participle of ask.
- Normally found in plural, or in set phrases such as for the asking.
Variant of ask
- to use words in seeking the answer to (a question); try to find out about by inquiring
- to put a question to (a person); inquire of
- to request; solicit; beg
- to demand or expect as a price: they ask ten dollars for it
- to be in need of or call for (a thing)
- to invite
Origin of askMiddle English askien ; from Old English āscian ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ais-, to wish, desire from source Sanskrit iccháti, (he) seeks, Old High German eiscōn, inquire, demand
- to request information
- to make a request (for)
- to inquire (about, after, or for)
- to behave in such a way that one appears to be looking (for trouble, punishment, etc.)